In many ways, “Prometheus” is the standard, average sci-fi
movie. Amazing visuals: check. Engaging, edge-of-your-seat style action: check.
At least one terribly gruesome scene: check. Plot holes: check. Lame acting:
hmmm..
Okay, "Prometheus" is better than your average uninspired
sci-fi movie, but I can’t help feeling that director Ridley Scott may have
reached a little low than from what was expected from him.
As the story goes, leading world archeologists Elizabeth
Shaw (Noomi Rapace) and Charlie Holloway (Logan Marshall-Green) uncover some
recurring signs in ancient ruins that lead them to believe they’re coming
closer to finding out the secret of the origin of humanity. Backed up by the
Weyland corporation, they set off on the spaceship Prometheus to a distant
planetary system only to find out they’ve dived head first into secrets that
are beyond their understanding and dangers beyond their imaginations. In other
words…
Now, without wishing to be negative, it feels as if
sometimes this film loses sight of its ultimate goal. It feels as if sometimes
the film sacrifices not only its message (Whatever it may want to say about
human nature, the hunger for the truth, the “be careful what you wish for”, the
pseudoscientific theories, I don’t know, I didn’t properly get it) but also the
plot at times to distract the audience with it’s jaw-dropping visuals.
In the end, the film is very entertaining, if rather shallow
as it must inevitably be compared to “Alien” (1979)
This comparison is apt, given that “Prometheus” is in fact
the prequel to “Alien” (but you already knew that) and the similarities are
rife. Sketchy android: check, Strong female hero: check. Shady corporate
agenda: check. The absolute worst space crew to ever step into a spaceship:
check. Lame acting: hmm…
I could say that for a science fiction movie, there is a
great acting ensemble, but that wouldn’t be completely accurate. For any movie,
there is a great acting ensemble. We got Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender,
Charlize Theron, Idris Elba, Guy Pearce, Patrick Wilson, all of them awake and
active and giving great performances. Even the supporting cast, as stock
characters as they all may be give solid, believable performances. I honestly
can’t remember the last time I saw such a well acted sci-fi film.
As for the “prequel factor” it’s very much noticeable.
Though “Prometheus” does try to stand as it’s own movie rather than just ride
by as an Alien prequel, the “Alien” references are all there if you keep your
eyes open, but try not to keep them so open that you miss the new aspects that
“Prometheus” brings to the table.
So if you haven’t already seen it, I do suggest to go see
“Prometheus”. Sure, it’s not the greatest film of Ridley Scott’s career, and if
you’re a hardcore “Alien” fan I can’t say it’s as good as the first two, but
it’s still damn well entertaining, and it’s better than a whole bunch of sci-fi
movies in recent memory. Better than “Battleship”: check. Better than “Lockout”:
check. Better than “Chronicle”: check. Better than “Cabin In The Woods”: hmmm…
Hobo-meter score: 4.0/5
Hobo-meter score: 4.0/5


No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario